preloader-matrix

Notifications
Clear all

Is my data secure in Power BI?

Topic starter

I want to know that, is my data secure in Power BI?

This topic was modified 5 months ago by AMZ Consulting
Topic Tags
1 Answer

Data security is a paramount consideration in any business intelligence tool, and Power BI by Microsoft is designed with a robust framework to ensure the protection and integrity of your data.

Power BI employs a multi-faceted approach to security at different levels:

1. Service Security: Power BI is hosted on Azure, which offers a high level of security and compliance, meeting a wide range of industry standards.

2. Data Encryption: Data is encrypted both at rest and in transit, which means that whether your data is stored on a disk in a data center or traveling over the network, it is protected against unauthorized access.

3. Authentication and Authorization: Power BI integrates with Azure Active Directory for authentication, ensuring that only authorized users can access the data. Furthermore, it supports row-level security to control access at the data row level within tables.

4. Compliance Certifications: Power BI complies with key industry standards and regulations, including ISO 27001, HIPAA, and more, which underscores its commitment to data security.

5. Privacy: Microsoft is committed to ensuring that your data remains your data. The company has a transparent approach to how it handles your data, as outlined in its privacy statement.

6. Audit and Governance: Power BI provides extensive audit logs that allow organizations to monitor and analyze activities that are taking place within the Power BI environment, contributing to an enhanced governance posture.

7. Regular Updates and Patches: Microsoft continuously updates Power BI, including its security features, to respond to emerging threats and keep the service as secure as possible.

It is also worth noting that the ultimate security of your data in Power BI can be influenced by your organization’s policies, the complexity of your data, and the specific configurations you employ. To maximize data security, it is advisable to stay informed about best practices in configuration and regularly review access controls and security settings.